Monday, January 26, 2009

Sophie. Poor, poor, Sophie

So, last Monday night the girls and I got home from a little weekend jaunt to St. George (it was my effort to distract us all from the fact that Daddy was gone, living it up in DC). We needed to get out of Dodge...so we did. When we got home Monday night, there was not a whole lot of food in the fridge and we were all a little worn out from a busy weekend. So, I got the approval of my children to have mac & cheese for dinner.

Now, I know this may sound strange, but it was the first time that I have ever fed my kids mac & cheese for dinner. We just don't ever do that. There are a plethora of reasons why we don't, my husband's food snobbery being the first (but he was gone so we could do whatever we wanted).

So, I make the mac & cheese and cut up some apples (trying to redeem the fact that we're eating a highly, highly processes food for our meal) and set it all on the table. The girls came and sat down and got ready to pray.

Sophie, oh Sophie, looked at the mac & cheese and apples, looked at me and said,
"Mom, I feel poor."
I looked at her and said, "wwhhaatt!!!"
And she repeated "Mom, I feel poor. This dinner makes me feel poor."

Oh, sweet, sweet, (poor and spoiled) Sophie.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

Hahahaha.......

That would never occur to my children. They would be shouting hallelujah! In fact, I think a couple weeks ago they had mac 'n cheese every day for lunch because Jane had decided it was the best meal she knew how to "cook" and she is now the queen of the kitchen. So you can let Sophie know its not her family, but the Athay's that are poor because that's all we seem to eat!

ABDO said...

That.is.Hilarious! Where do we send our contributions?! J/K
When we have those kinds of meals I tell the boys "Just eat it. Who knows what you'll be eating on your mission!" Turn it into a "cultural night" experience.
Send our regards to Soph

Breezy said...

I am laughing so hard. Sophie is so cute.

Kinsey and Dustin said...

I LOVE it! How old is Sophie?I want to use that line sometime at dinner this week!